Shooting Compelling Portraits
Radical tips for Portraits!
- Change the Skin Surface – water, sand, oil, creative make-up, jewellery reform the subject’s face
- Capture genuine emotion – love, tears, happiness, fear, anger – sometimes hard to get, but lifts the image
- Use a BIG aperture – emphasise your hero – throw background out of focus using a BIG aperture like f1.4, f1.8 or f2
- Use light to show the shape of the face – use sidelight (Rembrandt or chiaroscuro to show shape of cheekbones, lips and nose
- Eyes as sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel – the whole picture does not have to be sharp but the eyes need to say ‘notice me’!
Photo: © Bill Gekas FIPP Finalist 2017